Friday, July 27, 2007

A sari night (27th July)

Last night was our “official” welcome to country for all 9 new volunteers and the dress code was set as sari (pronounced sharee) for the girls and the Punjabis (?sp) for the boys. Although the actual buying of a sari – and matching petticoat and blouse – was quite stressful – it turned out to be a lot of fun. Especially when 7 of us Bideshi girls were crammed in a narrow corridor of a beauty parlour creating a spectacle as 7 Bangladeshi women wrapped and pleated and tucked and safety pinned us into our saris.

Here’s a photo of us spunky Aussies – and Badrul, our in-country manager and me in my sari from the front and behind.


1 comment:

Jen Dawson said...

You look beautiful in your sari Amy! I've always wanted to wear a sari (I always said that I would wear one for my wedding... I love the wedding saris!)

I'm thinking about you in your new adventure - I hope that things look up!