Friday, July 27, 2007

Great Expectations (15th July)

After a somewhat intense and detailed “in country orientation” I have now been fully briefed on a number of “worst case scenarios”, particularly around security issues. As such, my expectations for the following year include:

Ø that most Bangladeshi people will be extremely hospitable and friendly, but that at some stage during my 12 months I will be mugged and I am also likely to be groped at least once
Ø that I will put on weight because of all the good food but that I will get a number of bouts of gastro because of the food, (hopefully the two will balance out the other to keep my weight stable)
Ø that at least one person in our intake (there are 9 of us) will be evacuated to Thailand for medical treatment during our time here (this is based on the fact that I know of at least 4 Aussie volunteers that this has happened to already this year)
Ø that I will no doubt give the wrong impression to many a male friend or acquaintance because merely smiling at someone of the opposite sex can mean that you “want” them
Ø that I will witness extreme wealth yet I will also witness the most extreme poverty
Ø that although Bangladesh is currently in an official political ‘state of emergency”, it will be a much calmer country than it has been in recent years
Ø that my work will be challenging and rewarding yet many a time will be extremely frustrating
Ø that I will experience many extreme highs while I am here yet just as many extreme lows
Ø that as a guest in this country I will learn much more than I can possibly teach

No comments: