Friday, July 27, 2007

Apparently this outfit is supposed to make me less conspicuous?!?!



Ever imagined me wearing hot pink and hot blue together?

Introducing the salwar (pronounced shalwar) kameeze

The salwar kameeze is the local dress here – and what I must wear in public. Essentially it consists of long baggy salwar pants (complete with baggy crutch) and a long half dress/half top thingy – the kameeze. To complete the outfit – and the most important item is the orna – which may be worn in the way I am in the above photo, but in more conservative areas must be worn the other way – as it’s intended purpose is to cover the woman’s chest area – and that is the way I must wear it to work (as you will see in the photos from my workplace). To be seen in public without an orna is highly revealing – I can get away with wearing jeans, and long tops in public (in certain areas) – but definitely not without an orna!


Luckily, part of my in country orientation included clothe shopping with the very stylish Mahmuda – who was able to impart valuable Bangladeshi fashion advice – being that the brighter and bolder the outfit the better! Bright orange, yellow, green, pink, purple, blue, etc are in – and beige is definitely out (to the first kameeze that I picked out of a rack, that I thought was a very stylish beige and brown number, Mahmuda advised that “you could wear that – but it’s rather sober – and people at work may talk about you and laugh at you”). Needless to say, it went back on the rack.

Another piece of advice was that every girl needs a pair of “skinny pants” – which are the latest fashion – and that get scrunched up around the ankles. Such pants, however, are far too raunchy for the area that I work in (reveal way too much leg). I’m actually quite thankful – as they are a bit of a pain in the butt to wear – but thought you would like to see what they look like off – how hilarious!!


Also important is that you wear 5 different salwar kameezes to work each week – it’s a big no-no to repeat an outfit. Hence, I currently have 6 different outfits that I’m circulating through.

At the moment it’s quite fun – wearing styles and colours that I never would at home. I just hope the novelty lasts!

1 comment:

Jen Dawson said...

Cool! What culture shock eh.