Thursday, November 1, 2007

Perspective

I'm back in Dhaka and since being back I've been having a few too many "terrible, no good very bad days". I've been frustrated that I am still sick (though definitely improving - just a bit too slowly for my liking) - and that work is not going how I expected. And my energy levels have been so low that the smallest of things seem to upset me.

But it only takes a walk down my road to gain some much needed perspective and a reminder that in the scheme of things, my problems are insignificant.

Today as I was walking down my street there was a man, physically unable to walk, who was pencil rolling across the street, yelling for Allah and clutching a bowl for begging. His back was scarred badly, I assume from rolling around on the bitumen road and rickshaws and CNGs were dodging him.

I certainly have nothing to complain about.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Hey Ames,

glad you are back blogging. Keep your head up and know that we are all thinking of you back home :-)

Take care of yourself!

Anthony said...

This is a great post.

Afterall, that's what it comes down to. How are you doing...and how are you doing compared with...?

It's a good bet you don't have to look far to see someone much worse off.

In any case, I hope you are feeling better soon.

I'm stopping by my Surfer's Paradise blogs...I'd like to invite you to my new Surfer's Paradise Hullabaloo Carnival. Look forward to seeing you, and your friends, there. :o)